Monday 8 April 2013

I'm well aware my derriere is soggy....connection, what connection?!

So there it is, I admit it, my gluts do not 'fire', most of the time, I know its radical but as a Pilates teacher who talks daily ad nauseam about connections between inner thighs, gluts, deep abdominals etc, the reality is, mine appear to be an enigma to myself and to most of teachers who teach me....Today the poor cover teacher who taught me experienced the dilemma so many before her had attempted to unravel...

I'm always open to being taught by new teachers as I truly believe everyone has something to bring to the table of teaching, established teachers have the benefit of experience and confidence, new teachers often have enthusiasm and fresh eyes, and with each one I hope the answer to the Holy Grail of my unresponsive backside will be answered....sadly today was not the day and one more teacher was left bewildered and confused....

I honestly tried to reassure her it was not her fault, her enthusiastic yet inevitable cue's of  'draw in, draw up', 'heels together', 'connect the hamstrings', and 'lengthen more' did not magically make them awaken. I concede Footwork on the reformer finds a hint of them and Knee Stretches definitely does not, quad burn anyone?! but before you shout 'but your obviously not doing it right' at this post please appreciate I have been observed by the best and still they smile, wrinkle their brow and say 'but it should work?' My point is the teacher covering was charming and absolutely knew her stuff but sometimes the script has to be changed, sometimes as teachers we have to change our cues, expectations and assumptions or simply allow an exercise not to work (life does not end because I cant make Up-stretch happen)

Thankfully not one to give up my regular teacher  takes on the challenge that is my bodies biomechanic uniqueness, with creativity and humor along with  the Wunda chair, high chair and spine corrector in all their multiple configurations we work on....where there's a will theres apparently a way to find a thigh to butt connection. And to this end I return each week to continue the search for less sogginess. Most of the time however, the connections are found when I kick back a bit (excuse the hip extensor pun) when I laugh at myself and yes fall off the Wunda chair attempting an exercise I've not done before, because often when I don't have time to over analyze my body's 'failings' it seems to know exactly what to do, so perhaps, just maybe my body's not so bad at knowing what to do after all!


It seems the key to a pert bottom is not to be obsessed with it!


Thanks for reading, Have a great week all!

Suzy x


Join Suzy on FB, Twitter and even on a Pilates Retreat in Italy or Cyprus! (go to the website for more info!)

No comments:

Post a Comment