Monday 29 April 2013

Resuscitating Pilates....

So last weekend I finally got round to updating my First Aid certificate and in truth had my Insurance not been dependent on it I would probably still be trying to find the right time to fit it in. Sadly we live in a society which doesn't promote it in schools, colleges or University and for many as adults unless they have been required to, First Aid is something you hope someone else with apply should the need ever arise.
Lipstick ready!


Fortunately courtesy of the lovely +TishaHarrington who runs the gorgeous Pilates and Gyrotonic studio at www.kingscrossstudios.co.uk I got myself enrolled, even the dog was there to say good morning. I have done several course's over the years, some more intensive than others but most presented with humor and humility, recognizing not everyone will be able to actually do CPR but everyone should at least know how, on these courses the biggest thing we are reminded of is the value of reassurance and compassion to another human being. Its always personal when I do these courses, I have had to do first aid at 2 motor cycle accidents, I directed traffic at one and ended up covered in blood at another, I dont believe he survived but I hope my clumsy words meant he didn't feel alone or frightened. I dealt with a hit and run where a woman's leg was broken, the hardest thing here was getting someone to hold onto my dog's lead! I've dealt with couriers passing  out, whilst cycling- next time perhaps he will not party quite so hard and leave without breakfast, and this week as is always the case after I update my certificate I discovered someone laid out after a fall- so now you know why I'm always apprehensive after a course.

The issue here is it doesn't matter if your good at these situations, I generally revert to a distressed toddler at the thought of having a holiday vaccination, it just matters that you try. less than one in ten people who stop breathing outside of hospital will receive CPR, people are literally dying because people dont know what to do. Of course there are times when it will make a difference only to those left behind, my mother will be forever grateful for the men who tried to resuscitate my father who died at 45. She herself was a first aider and worked in a hospital but sometimes we are just too close. Perhaps this is why I left the biggest lipstick mark on Rescue Annie  and compressed with unstoppable ardor last weekend, the lipstick mark would have made my dad smile for sure, if only for the course leaders expression at the glossy red display. Apparently I give excellent mouth to mouth! Well sometimes even dark humor can lighten the mood!

So if you don't know what to do if someone stops breathing, if you dont know to do compressions even if you cant do mouth to mouth. If you don't know what to do in the silence as someone chokes then sign up for a course sooner rather than later. We work tirelessly to keep our clients fit and healthy but what happens if one day they really do need to breathe, would you feel confident knowing what to do?, would you be ok with doing nothing?. In this area I really am an expert, doing something may just save a life or bring a little piece of mind to those you have to see after the drama long subsides....though to be fair I'm going to skip the 'How to deliver a baby' section....someone put the kettle on and get some towels.

Keep well, Keep healthy and Pilates on....

Suzy x

www.seraphinapilates.com

Please like our page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/seraphina.pilates.retreats or follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/suzyseraphina

No comments:

Post a Comment