Friday 10 May 2013

Warning...this blog may make you sweat!

So I've just come back from running my first Pilates Retreat of the year in Italy. The group was a fab mix of people who have known me for years and friends and family of aforementioned participants. so this is where it always gets interesting for me when I meet new people, people invariably start with the line ' I've heard all about you, I've heard your tough...scary...relentless....picky' but by far  the best comment I have heard this year whilst discussing someone's previous Pilates experience was 'I dont like strength work, its too hard' so now I'm intrigued, how exactly had this person been able to get away with regular Pilates sessions without doing any strength work?!

A medieval stair master!



I appreciate the sentiment, in truth I would like to spend endless hours doing long, deep stretches, its what my part feline DNA craves but in truth that would get me nowhere, as my teacher brain reminds myself regularly. So why are some teachers still providing clients with what they want and not what they need? Sadly I see this time and time again, particularly where clients are older, teachers look at the age of the client and not the body and health of the client. Is there some magic line we cross from 49 into 50, 59 into 60 or 69 into 70? If there is I've yet to identify it and as such I teach to make people stronger- regardless of age. In all honesty  I'm not there to let them just exercise their jaws (though of course we do that too!)

As a consequence the client who didn't like strength work but who rose to the challenge and pushed herself to try did fantastically well over the 3 days, and yes, she sweated and yes her muscles ached the following day but as I reminded her the last time she had been aware of them was probably 40 years earlier giving birth! I often have people say to me 'just so your aware, I'm sweating' like its something they should be suspicious of or concerned about. I reassure them its just a sign of hard work and effort, I do concede that  I do have to be prompted to put the air conditioning on as my Gecko blood does not register heat and classes can become very 'Bikram' without me realizing it, but my guys know this and usually prompt me straight after Criss cross!

So we had a great time working hard, walking up endless steps, drinking Prosecco (to recover from the steps) and in my case riding horses daily, and yes I did ache and my ability to do a roll end seemed to evacuate my body with the speed of an Arab Stallion on too many oats, but thats the point of the Retreat, which is actually a Holiday pretending to be meaningful. We all put ourselves out of our comfort zones and all came back stronger, healthier and in the case of one of my girls able to fit back into her favorite skirt despite eating breakfast everyday. Perhaps the sweating was useful after all?!....but just to be sure I'm heading to Cyprus next month to teach my next Pilates Holiday, after all, better to be sure.

Mid back, inner thighs and definitely sit bones, oh and a very happy Me!


Have a great weekend all....

Suzy x

www.seraphinapilates.com

https://www.facebook.com/seraphina.pilates.retreats

No comments:

Post a Comment